Has it not been your day, your week, your month or even your year? (Clap clap clap clap).
Whatever the reason for needing it, I am a strong believer in the importance of me time. Maybe you just dumped some jerk. Maybe you ran over the curb and now your car sounds funny. Maybe you dropped your ice cream cone. Each scenario more distressing than the last! Here are my surefire steps to treat yourself like the boss you are for around $20. You didn’t get to be a boss by wasting money, amiright!
1. A lipstick. A new lipstick is almost as good as spending a day at the spa. It brightens your face, makes you smile, and is generally good for the soul. I remembering learning in some class (I was a model student, obvi) that lipstick sales were strong during the Great Depression as women who could no longer afford new clothes turned to purchasing new lipsticks to keep their wardrobes feeling fresh. Is this a real anecdote or did my baby brain invent it? We will never know. If you can find NYX on sale, it is cruelty-free and great quality for a drug store lipstick. Don’t buy it (or anything!) for full price, ya goof!
2. A magazine. You know who can afford the decadence of a unnecessary magazine? Mindy Lahiri. And while I’m only on season 3 of The Mindy Project, I’m pretty sure she is a goddess we all should strive to be more like. Usually reserved for reading at the salon, a gossip or fashion magazine is such a treat it makes me giddy just thinking about it. Plus if you’re old and cheap like me and have a Costco membership, you can get your important Jennifer Anniston news for 30% off cover price (and bulk mustard!).
3. At home spa treatment. You know the ones, the one time use face, feet, and hair masks sold at your local Shopper’s Drug Mart (other drug marts are available). They feel like an affordable splurge and really can do wonders in refreshing your skin and hair. I have even read of bloggers picking masks up from a dollar store but do that at your own risk. Imagine yourself letting the mask do its work while perusing your new magazine. What a fancy lady, right!?
4. Gourmet chocolate. You COULD get a fistful of Kit Kats but this is a special occasion, not day to day chocolate purchasing (this is a judgement free zone FYI). When I’m feeling in need of a pick me up treat, but I also don’t want to feel ill, some dark chocolate fits the bill. It’s hard to over eat (it’s a weird almost gross, no?), it’s feels special, and it’s kinda good for you! Magnesium! A Lindt dark chocolate bar with caramel and sea salt is a one way ticket to paradise (I guess you are on the hook for the return ticket..?).
5. Herbal tea. I’m always blown away by how affordable David’s Tea is if you don’t buy pricey matcha or white teas. You can get 25 grams of one of their herbal blends for around 3 bucks. Depending on the blend, that could get you a dozen cups of tea or more. Nothing makes me feel like a classy grown up with my shit together like going into David’s and smelling tea samples like I’m some sort of jerk sommelier.
Plus herbal teas are generally good for you and made with lovely floral and fruit ingredients so you end up walking out of there feeling like Gwyneth Paltrow without the weird vagina steaming.
So there you go! You can lounge in your best sweatpants, delicately munching your dark chocolate while face and hair masks moisturize your cracked facade, sipping your classy tea. Apply your bold new lip and you are guaranteed to feel like a million bucks, or at the very least, refreshed!
P.S. Hello! After a year long hiatus, I’m back to do some casually inconsistent blogging. I look forward to bringing you some new content when the baby allows it.