I like to make lists. That should be apparent to you already. I especially like making lists of gifts for me or others. I will start making my Christmas wish and shopping lists in August, and continue to refine them for the next 4 months. I suspect this isn’t normal but it is also oddly satisfying. Since my birthday is in a month or so I thought I should get my act together and start making and re-making my wish list.
I started making my birthday wish list recently (I like to make lists, what can I say!) and I decided to make more of an effort to stay vegan/cruelty-free when purchasing cosmetics. I have tried for years to keep my collection mostly cruelty-free, but I am feeling extra inspired thanks to Cruelty Free Kitty, The Celution, Logical Harmony, and Up the Rollercoaster. Luckily the more brands that come to Canada, the easier it becomes. However, one area that I have always struggled with is fragrances. It is pretty simple to find make-up, shampoo, lotions, and nail polish that weren’t tested on animals or contain ingredients that were tested on animals, but fragrances are another story.
Valentine’s Day is coming up and while Brian and I don’t usually exchange gifts, I have found an assortment of sweet gifts for under $30 CAD for your special someone.
- Bite Beauty Matte Creme Lip Crayon in Rose Hip ($28 CAD at Sephora). This warm, rose-y red is the perfect romantic colour that will suit any skin tone. Bite Beauty is a Canadian brand that was born in Toronto, Ontario and all their products are created with ingredients that are literally good (and safe) enough to eat.
- David’s Tea Pink Hearts Essential Glass Travel Mug ($24 CAD at David’s Tea). An adorable 12 ounce travel mug with a built in tea infuser. A great gift for the loved one that loves tea and wants to take it on the road.
- Indigo Hot Water Bottle – Grey & Pink ($29.50 CAD at Indigo). Show her you care and keep her warm at the same time. This cable knit hot water bottle will be a reminder of your love year round (let’s be real, this is Canada, it’s always cold somewhere).
- Simons Zircon Two-Sided Earrings ($19 CAD at Simons). Ear jackets are still very hot, and these pearl-and-zircon beauties are no exception. Simons jewellery is unique, well-made, and on trend, making them the perfect place for affordable gifts.
- Lush In Your Dreams Wrapped Gift ($26.95 CAD at Lush). This gift combines a Unicorn Horn bubble bar (you break it up under running water to make a bubbly, delicious smelling bath); Prince Charming shower gel (a delectable pomegranate and vanilla gel); and The Kiss (a pink lip tint). Everything you need for a romantic night in.
- Forever 21 Ultimate Matte Blush Palette ($11.90 CAD at Forever 21). 10 matte shades of blush in one convenient palette. Ranging from nude and coral to pink and red, this palette would be a great gift for any make-up lover.
- Fierce Deer Little Heart Necklace ($26 CAD at Workshop Studio & Boutique). A delicate 14 K gold filled heart necklace, available at a local Ottawa boutique. A reminder of your love she can proudly wear every day.
What would you like to receive this Valentine’s Day?