After a difficult 2015, I may have practiced the art of emotional eating a little too intensely. Like, 10-15 extra pounds intensely. As someone who has struggled with weight and food since the dawn of time, this was not too surprising. Surprising, no, but disappointing? Heck yes. Now that I am starting to be semi-present in my life again, I am making some small but powerful changes to get me back to my running weight. Running is by far my favourite form of exercise but the heavier I am, the more difficult it becomes. I keep saying weight/pounds/etc. but disclaimer: this isn’t primarily about loss on the scale. It is more about being able to run long distances without tiring. It is about feeling strong. It is about taking better care of myself. While making these changes will no doubt lead to some weight loss, my main goal is to be healthier and happier with myself.
So confession time: three goals are waaaaay too many for my life right now. My plan of cementing three goals into my routine of every day life was a pipe dream. For the sake of transparency, here is a review of how I did with March’s goals..
- Get 30 minutes of exercise every day: Made an honest stab at this one, and did manage to get in 30 minutes or more of exercise most days. Wasn’t an every day achievement though.
- Make healthy lunches for work every day: I did try.. really I did. But I am currently lazy af in the morning so this was a 50/50 situation. Many days I just had a can of soup instead.. ah well! I’m only human!
- Clean my dishes at work as soon as I dirty them: This happened for two days. Honestly. I am a monster.
So! I will keep my goal a little more modest for this month and see how that works out. My goal for April is.. drum roll..
March was an interesting month in my life. A milestone of sorts was reached, spring semi-sprung, and I was able to run outdoors.
Well another month has flown by. Here I am again, cuddling by the fire with Ali, wondering where the hell did February just go..
- My little cubicle section at work has evolved into a tea connoisseur corner. Of the 6 people who sit there, four drink tea throughout the day and we have started sharing our collections and reporting back on new finds. This makes for infinite tea possibilities which is a treat on these long snowy days, and a nice bonding experience.
- Brian, myself, and our kitties are finally settling into our new home. We have hung some art, found an amazing gorgeous rug and are chugging away at unpacking. It is really starting to feel like OUR home, not just a nice house we live in. Brian is now about to build a shelving unit using piping in the dining room, among other projects, so it will only get more cozy and personalized as time goes on.
- After having the same doctor for years and years, I took the plunge and found myself a new one. My previous doctor was a nice guy but the level of care was not there. My new doctor is so kind and diligent, and helping me to go medication free which is such an exciting prospect. I am so pleased I found someone that is so patient focused.
- I am really enjoying blogging so far! Some people are actually reading it, it is keeping me busy, and forcing me to be more organized. Not too bad! I am also loving all the other blogs out there, as I look for inspiration and lessons learned. So many great ones just in this city alone!
- Mango Lassi: best part of this month! Brian discovered canned mango pulp at our grocery store, so we’ve been making a ton of mango lassi. Just mix 2 parts yogurt (any %, unflavoured), 1 part milk, and 1 part mango pulp. I can’t put into words how great a treat this is! I highly recommend it, especially with a curry.
Did you have a good February?
Have you made a mango lassi yet? What are you waiting for!